others are conspiring to help you
(and you them!)
She introduced the CEOs to the flip side of paranoia: "pronoia" - the idea that everyone is not out to get you, but that they are out to love you, or at least to appreciate you, if you reciprocate. According to the new Darwinism, only the pronoid survive - in fact, only the pronoid endure and flourish. (Fast Company, Nov. 1999) (popular online lexicon)I love it, that there's a movement circulating this attitude. Pronoia may be the ultimate Benevolent Universe Premise.
Investigating Kathy's word there, I first ran across the freewillastrology site. (I posted something cute from there last week.) The thing I really like there is a set of questions called The Smart Optimists' Personality Test. (Yes, I know what you're thinking. Don't worry.) Each question is stimulator, designed to surprise you in the privacy of your own head:
- What image or symbol represents the absolute of your desires?
- In what ways has your fate been affected by invisible forces you don't understand or are barely aware of?
- Tell a good lie.
- What were the circumstances in which you were most dangerously alive?
- Are you a good listener? If so, describe how you listen. If not, explain why not.
- Compose an exciting prayer in which you ask for something you're not supposed to.
- Name something you've done to undo, subvert, or neutralize the Battle of the Sexes.
- Have you ever witnessed a child being born? If so, describe how it changed you.
- Compose a beautiful blasphemy that makes you feel like crying.
- Make up a dream in which you lose control and thereby attract a crowd of worshipers.
- Name your greatest unnecessary taboo and how you would violate it if it didn't hurt anyone.
- Give an example of how smart you are in the way you love.
- What was the pain that healed you the most?
(Smart Optimists' PT) (see, it's so not a quizvirus!)